Thursday, October 16, 2014

Another Crowd Fund update...

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that anyone is interested in helping with the hearing aids.  I've been contacted by others that want me to pay them to boost or promote my campaign.  I paid $5.00 to embed my widget on a website, but it didn't do any good.  That company made $5.00 from me, with my belief that it would help my cause.  It didn't help at all.  I could have put that $5.00 toward my mom's hearing aids.

I was contacted by someone with a GoFundMe campaign, asking me to donate to them.  They had raised over $11k, while I had raised nothing, and THEY wanted ME to donate to them?!

I issued a challenge via Twitter several times to others to donate to someone that was requesting hearing aids, since October is National Audiology Awareness Month.  I started out the challenge by donating $5.00 to a GoFundME campaign requesting hearing aids for a disabled woman, and posted the page where I donated.  No one accepted my challenge or commented on my challenge.  It's very sad that thousands of people in need of hearing aids, do not have the financial ability to receive the Gift of Hearing.  I could have put that donation toward my mom's hearing aids.

Based on my experience only, unless your campaign is newsworthy, or you have many people that will help promote your cause, crowdfunding doesn't work.  For some reason, people will overfund a newsworthy campaign rather than help a stranger that is struggling.  I am currently $10.00 poorer since starting the campaign and further away from my goal to get my mom's hearing aids...

No comments:

Post a Comment